codebar Festival is a new 3-day 100% virtual event where each day will have a different focus; coding, career, and wellbeing. And like any festival, there will be lots going on over the 3 days from talks, panels, workshops, interactive sessions, and social occasions.
Day 2 // CAREER
Join us on day 2 of the festival for a day packed with panels and talks.
- 9:30 - Michelle Steele - Fear of Public Speaking & Presentations
This session is geared to help anyone get over their imposter syndrome or anxiety when public speaking or giving presentations.
- 10:30 - Matt Northam - Little Scraps of Wisdom: how my kids helped me to be a better developer
This talk will highlight some of the key transferrable skills I've found between parenting and being a developer.
- 11:15 - CV/Online Portfolio Review Hour*
During this session attendees can bring their CV/Online Portfolio and have someone look at it and give them feedback.
*Please note this session requires an extra ticket. Register for this session here.
- 12:15 - How To Land Your First Developer Job Panel
Come ask our 5 panelists all about how they landed their first developer job. All have had their first tech job less than a year. On the panel is; Jenny Allton-Twist, Beatrice Opara, Ryan Barner, Ashley Karhoff and Beth Myre.
- 13:30 - Amina Adewusi - How To Find Your Perfect Mentor When You Don't Know How
In this talk, learn how to find your perfect mentor and meet your needs and theirs to create a fantastic two-way learning experience.
- 14:00 - Olga Stokowiec - Don't Let The imposter Syndrome Kill Your Vibe. Bringing Diverse Backgrounds Into Tech
Olga will share how she went from law to tech, how she started coding, and how she "translated" her passion for languages into skills that are an asset in tech.
- 14:30 - James Brumpton - Being Gay in QA & Tech
James will discuss his experience of being gay and working in QA & Tech over the last 10 years.
- 15:00 - Beatrice Opara - Tech & Social Impact: The Power of Volunteering
In this talk Beatrice will discuss how developers at all levels can harness the power of volunteering to develop their career.
- 15:45 - How To Advance Your Career Once You Are In A Job Panel
Come and ask our panelists questions about how you can advance your career once you have your job. On our panel is; Sam Philips, Anemari Fiser, Katie Sanderson, Shannon Farvolden and Harshna Patel.
- 17:00 - Sponsor Hour
The Festival would not be possible without our wonderful sponsors. Come hear more about them, and ask them any questions you have.
- 18:00 - Eddie Jaoude - What is Open Source and Why You Should Care
Eddie will cover why you should get involved in open source and how it can improve your communication and technical skills.
- 18:45 - Technical Writing Panel
Come and ask our four authors any questions you have on technical writing, whether it's being an author or writing technical documentation. On the panel we have; Adaobi Obi Tulton, Venkat Subramaniam, Dave Rankin and Rachel Nabors.
- 19:45 - Tom Renner - Staying In One Place Doesn't Mean Standing Still
Tom will present some of the pros and cons of staying with one company for longer than most people do, and he'll give some tips for how to make a success of it.
- 20:15 - Harshna Patel - Interviews are 2-way streets!
This workshop will take you over how to scrutinise interview processes as a candidate, what questions to ask and what issues to look out for during recruitment.